×

Diesel fuel spills into East Palestine waterway

EAST PALESTINE — Another potential environmental disaster has been avoided.

Norfolk Southern contractors are remediating a Wednesday afternoon diesel fuel spill in Sulphur Run from the former McKay and Gould building from one of their pieces of equipment.

According to East Palestine Fire Chief Keith Drabick, his department was notified of the possible diesel spill at 4:30 p.m. in the 500 block of East Clark Street near North Pleasant Avenue.

Upon arrival, the diesel fuel was observed to be flowing into Sulphur Run from a drainage pipe coming from the parking lot near the Brave Industries’ property.

The Columbiana County Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. and Ohio Environment Protection agencies along with the East Liverpool Fire Department hazmat team responded to the assist.

After assessing the spread of the fuel, Drabick said units were sent down to the area of Sumner and Alice streets to place an absorbent boom on Sulphur Run.

After the 2023 train derailment, the village’s surface, ground and drinking water has undergone extensive testing.

In December, Norfolk Southern had submitted a final assessment report regarding Sulphur and Leslie Runs to the EPA for approval, which outlined the completed cleanups and results from sediment sampling. However, residents wanted continued monitoring and they may have ended up getting it, although not in the way they had hoped.

In a Thursday press release, Drabick cited the source of the spill was believed to be Norfolk Southern’s generator and diesel holding tank on the Brave Industries’ property, thus the railroad company’s request to respond by officials.

EPA investigators believe the spill was 25 gallons or less of diesel fuel.

Norfolk Southern did present a remediation plan upon arrival, which was approved by environmental officials.

Remediation will include, but not be limited to, soil removal at the initial spill location and absorbent boom and pad placement on site, in storm drains and Sulphur Run up to and including the confluence of Sulphur and Leslie Runs until the EPA assesses they can be safely removed.

Drabick said the county EMA and both EPAs continue to monitor the site along with his department.

He concluded that the spill had been determined not to pose a health risk to residents.

sujhelyi@mojonews.com

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today