Reynolds hits hole-in-one
CALCUTTA — Kade Reynolds of East Liverpool hit his first hole-in-one Monday at Turkana Golf Course.
He used a 9-iron to ace the 167-yard 17th hole.
Playing in his group were Anthony Vantilburg and Jeff Allmon of East Liverpool.
Lisbon golf team on the road
LISBON — The Lisbon golf team will be playing all of its matches on the road this season, which opens Wednesday.
The Blue Devils planned on playing at the new Twin Springs Golf Course at Guilford Lake, but school officials recently decided against it because the course has only seven holes.
The course plans on expanding to nine holes in the future and Lisbon hopes to be playing matches there next season.
Els will play in Akron
AKRON – World Golf Hall of Famer Ernie Els is the latest to commit to the 2020 Bridgestone Senior Players Championship at Firestone Country Club on Aug. 12-16.
The 50-year-old Els headlines a group of 81 of the top PGA Tour Champions players in the field.
Els won 19 PGA Tour events, including the U.S. Open in 1994 and 1997 and the British Open in 2002 and 2012.
This will be Els’ 20th visit to Firestone Country Club, having made 19 starts at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and the NEC World Series of Golf.
OBJ taking part in Browns camp
CLEVELAND (AP) — Browns star wide receiver Odell Beckham has fully participated in the early stages of training camp after expressing reservations whether the NFL should forge ahead and have a season with the coronavirus still spreading.
Beckham reported to Cleveland’s camp last week, passed the COVID-19 testing and has taken part in all team activities.
On Monday, the flashy receiver was quoted in a Wall Street Journal story as saying he wondered why the league was putting players’ health at risk.
“Obviously with everything that’s going on, it doesn’t make sense why we’re trying to do this,” Beckham told the publication, which noted the interview was done two weeks before the NFL and NFLPA agreed on safety guidelines. “I can understand basketball was already in the playoffs. Five-on-five basketball in an arena is going to be more intense than regular-season games. Hooping is different than playing an 11-on-11 contact sport where there’s 80 people in a locker room.”
Beckham, who has never been afraid to speak his mind on any topic, went on to question the motivation in playing.
“We’re not ready for football season. So why are we trying to push forward?” he said. “It’s obviously for their money. And that bothers me because there’s always been this — and I hate saying it like that — but the owners’ (attitude is), ‘Oh, we own you guys,’ and just kind of that unfairness going on that they don’t see us as human. I just feel like the season shouldn’t happen and I’m prepared for it to not happen and I wouldn’t mind not having it.”
Perhaps to show the 27-year-old receiver is committed to playing, the Browns posted a photo on Twitter of Beckham running inside their training facility while wearing a black surgical mask.
The team has had two offensive linemen — guard Drew Forbes and tackle Drake Dorbeck — opt out due to the virus. The Browns also placed third-string quarterback Garrett Gilbert on the reserve/COVID list and activated punter Jamie Gillan from it.
Cespedes leaves team, opts out of 2020 season
ATLANTA (AP) — When the New York Mets finally found out Yoenis Cespedes was OK, they suddenly learned something else: The slugger had opted out of playing the rest of this season.
Hours after Cespedes didn’t report to the ballpark without explanation, the Mets discovered in the late innings of Sunday’s 4-0 loss to Atlanta that he wouldn’t be back this year because of coronavirus concerns.
“I am very surprised,” first-year manager Luis Rojas said. “Him and I have had conversations regularly about playing time, where he was going to hit in the lineup, building him up in the outfield.”
“Nothing like this, so this is definitely a surprise,” he said.
Cespedes went 0 for 4 during a 7-1 loss Saturday night in Atlanta. He is 5 for 31 (.161) with 15 strikeouts this season.
The Mets sent out a statement from general manager Brodie Van Wagenen in the early innings Sunday saying they couldn’t find Cespedes. Van Wagenen said the organization was later notified by Cespedes’ agent that he had decided to opt out for “for COVID-related reasons.”
Cespedes joined Giants catcher Buster Posey, Dodgers pitcher David Price and Washington infielder Ryan Zimmerman in opting out this season, all of them announcing their decisions before the virus-shortened 60-game season began in late July. Atlanta outfielder Nick Markakis also chose not to play this year, then changed his mind.
A two-time All-Star outfielder, the 34-year-old Cespedes celebrated his long-awaited return to the lineup with a home run on opening day that lifted the Mets over the Braves 1-0 at Citi Field.
Bag limit for buck remains at three in W.Va.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia officials have rejected a proposal to reduce the bag limit for bucks, so it will remain at three.
The decision by the state Natural Resources Commission on Sunday came after more than two years’ worth of discussion, surveys and delays on taking action, the Charleston Gazette-Mail reported.
The state’s buck limit had stood at three since 1995, but pressure from members of two hunter groups persuaded some commission members to consider a reduction.
Natural Resources Director Steve McDaniel said that out of more than 1,100 public comments, all but 72 favored the lower limit. He said biologists told him a lower limit wouldn’t harm the state’s whitetail population.
Commissioner Jeff Bowers asked how a lower limit would affect the agency’s revenue stream since it relies largely on money from hunting license sales to pay for its annual budget. McDaniel estimated revenue loss at $800,000 over a three-year span.
The motion to reduce the buck limit failed 4-3.