Chester blanks Youngstown
The Chester Old Timers defeated Youngstown, 4-0, Sunday in Youngstown 50-plus baseball league action to go to 5-1 on the season.
Dave Smith scattered two hits over seven innings to pick up the win.
Doug Comm and Marshall Simcox each had two hits. Dave Smith contributed a double.
Chester plays Girard at 2 p.m. Sunday at Firestone Park.
Francona sits out
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Cleveland manager Terry Francona left the team before its game at Minnesota on Sunday due to what the Indians said was a minor gastrointestinal condition not related to COVID-19.
Francona conducted his regular pregame media briefing via video conference from Target Field. The club announced his absence about an hour later. The 61-year-old Francona returned to the team hotel, and first base coach Sandy Alomar Jr. took over managing duty for the four-game series finale against the Twins.
Francona, who has experienced some gastrointestinal discomfort since spring training, was sent home with a visit to the Cleveland Clinic for further examination set for Monday morning.
Bosa is highest-paid defender
COSTA MESA, Calif. (AP) — Joey Bosa has become the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player after signing a five-year contract extension with the Los Angeles Chargers on Saturday.
Bosa and the Chargers reached agreement on a new deal Tuesday night.
The five-year extension is worth $135 million, which includes $78 million guaranteed at signing and $102 million overall. The deal eclipses the five-year, $125-million extension that Cleveland’s Myles Garrett signed two weeks ago. That contract included $100 million guaranteed for Garrett, a defensive end who was the top pick in 2017.
The 6-foot-5, 280-pound Bosa is going into his fifth season. He was the third overall pick in the 2016 draft out of Ohio State University and has been selected to two Pro Bowls. He tied for second in the AFC last season with 11 1/2 sacks and has double-digit sacks in three of his four seasons. He was third among defensive ends and second in the AFC with 60 tackles, including 16 for loss. Bosa also had 25 quarterback hits and forced a fumble.
Last year, Bosa became the first Chargers player since Kevin Burnett in 2010 to record three straight multi-sack games.
Thomas takes over No. 1
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) – Justin Thomas wants to make his second stint as No. 1 in the world last longer than the first time around.
“I hope so,” Thomas said Sunday after winning the FedEx St. Jude Invitational to take the No. 1 spot for the first time since June 2018. “I feel like I’m a better player, and I feel like I’m more complete of a golfer now than I was then.”
Thomas dueled defending champion Brooks Koepka down the final holes, sealing the World Golf Championship victory on the par-5 16th. Thomas took the lead for good with his second straight birdie, while Koepka bogeyed the hole.
Koepka pulled within a stroke with a 39-footer for birdie on No. 17. But Koepka put his tee shot into the water along the 18th fairway on his way to double bogey, allowing Thomas to finish up an easy par putt for what wound up a three-stroke victory.
Thomas closed with a 5-under 66 to finish at 13-under 267 and take the $10.5 million winner’s check for his 13th PGA Tour title. At 27, he became the third-youngest player since 1960 to reach 13 PGA Tour wins, trailing only Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus.
Kang wins in LPGA’s return
TOLEDO (AP) — Danielle Kang was away from the LPGA Tour for six months during the COVID-19 pandemic, which is not to suggest she was without competition.
She lost track of the games she played with her brother, Alex, who has spent two seasons on the Korn Ferry Tour, and boyfriend Maverick McNealy, in his rookie year on the PGA Tour. She played the back tees and forward tees, moved about to different courses in Las Vegas and felt her game improving.
It paid off Sunday when Kang closed with a 2-under 70 and held on for a one-shot victory over Celine Boutier in the LPGA Drive On Championship at Inverness, the first LPGA Tour event since February.
“I made sure I played golf as much as I did normally, not because I had to but because I wanted to,” Kang said. “I’m so thankful for the time. I tried to make the best of it. We had all the time in the world. Golf courses were open in Nevada. I didn’t have to rush and cram for a test. I’m proud of the work I was able to do.”
Mid-Ohio races off for now
LEXINGTON, Ohio (AP) — The IndyCar doubleheader scheduled for Mid-Ohio next weekend has been postponed because of the spike in coronavirus cases across the nation, which means the series won’t race again until the Indianapolis 500 on Aug. 23.
Mid-Ohio recently joined Madison, Illinois, and the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in becoming doubleheaders to help fill out the IndyCar schedule after the West Coast swing to Portland and Laguna Seca were canceled. Now, the races scheduled for Aug. 7-9 will run at a date to be determined in September or October.
Meanwhile, restrictions in Connecticut and New York have forced IMSA to cancel is sports car races at Lime Rock Park and Watkins Glen. The round for GT cars at Lime Rock will shift to the roval at Charlotte as part of the NASCAR weekend Oct. 9-10, while the Watkins Glen event Labor Day weekend will head to Road Atlanta.