All-OVAC wrestling team
Named to the All-Ohio Valley Athletic Conference wrestling team are Beaver Local’s Mark Emmerling Jr., Logan Ours, Skyler Lasure and Logan Krulik; Crestview’s A.J. Coppersmith; East Liverpool’s Howard Williams and Skylor Wooley; Oak Glen’s Peyton Hall, Camden Barr; Southern Local’s Hunter Morris and Dylan Milhoan; Wellsville’s Justin Sarge; and Edison’s Hayden Johnson.
Wrestlers who finished first or second in the OVAC championships are automatic selections, while each coach also has the opportunity to place another wrestler on the list.
Watch the Purple Raiders
ALLIANCE — It’s always Mount Union football season.
WIVM-TV in Canton will broadcast two classic Mount Union football games today on Spectrum Channel 989 in Stark County and online at WIVMTV.com.
At 2 p.m., the 2018 game featuring top-ranked Mount Union hosting No. 15 John Carroll, which was returning to Mount Union Stadium for the first time since its 2016 win snapped the Purple Raiders’ 112-game regular-season win streak.
At 8 p.m., the 1993 national semifinal game between Mount Union, led by the arm of quarterback Jim Ballard, and St. John’s (Minn.), the highest-scoring team in the nation. It was first time the Purple Raiders hosted a national semifinal game as they were trying to get to their first Stagg Bowl.
In between the two Mount Union games, the 1997 high school football playoff game between Canton McKinley and Cleveland St. Ignatius will be broadcast.
Georgia’s Edwards enters draft
ATHENS, Ga. (AP) — Georgia freshman Anthony Edwards has announced his plans to enter the NBA draft.
The decision was expected. Edwards was one of the nation’s top recruits last season and is projected to be one of the top picks in the draft.
Edwards, a 6-foot-5 guard, led the nation’s freshmen with his average of 19.1 points per game. He added 5.2 rebounds.
Edwards announced his decision with a statement on his Twitter feed. “Georgia will always be my home but I am ready to take my game to the next level and have decided to declare for the 2020 NBA Draft,” Edwards wrote. “I hope I’ve made you all proud but the work is far from finished.”
Seeking minor league raises
(AP) – A collection of former and current players have formed an advocacy group asking that Major League Baseball roughly double salaries in the minors to $15,000 per season. Advocates for Minor Leaguers is led by Garrett Broshuis, a former pitcher and the lawyer who has represented players in lawsuits alleging minor league salaries violate minimum wage laws. The group said it “will strive to provide a collective voice for minor leaguers.”
The announcement was made amid a particularly tense week for minor league players, most of whom make $5,000-$10,000 per season.
Day full of prep stars
BRISTOL, Conn. — The 2003 McDonald’s All-American boys game in Cleveland featuring three-time Ohio Mr. Basketball LeBron James highlights an 18-hour slate on ESPN2 today.
The high school appearances of some of the NBA’s biggest stars are in the ESPN2 schedule that includes:
• 6 p.m., 2019 McDonald’s girls game (Kierstan Bell, Haley Jones, Jordan Horston, Aliyah Boston).
• 7:30 a.m., 2019 McDonald’s boys game (James Wiseman, Cole Anthony, Isaiah Stewart).
• 9:30 a.m., 2018 McDonald’s boys game (Zion Williamson, R.J. Barrett, Cam Reddish, Colby White)
• 11:30 a.m., 2007 McDonald’s boys game (James Harden, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love)
• 1:30 p.m., 2003 McDonald’s boys game (LeBron James, Chris Paul, Luol Deng).
• 3:30 p.m., 3019 Powerade Jam Fest (Francesca Belibi, James Wiseman).
• 4:30 p.m., 1993 McDonald’s High School Slam (Jerry Stackhouse, Charles O’Bannon).
• 5 p.m., 2013 Powerade Jam Fest (Jabrari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Aaron Gordon).
• 6 p.m., 2004 Powerade Jam Fest (Candace Parker, J.R. Smith, Rudy Gay, Joe Crawford).
• 7 p.m., 1995 McDonald’s High School Slam (Vince Carter, Paul Pierce).
• 7:30 p.m., 1996 McDonald’s High School Slam (Kobe Bryant, Lester Earl, Corey Benjamin, Richard Hamilton).
• 8 p.m., 2003 Powerade Jam Fest (LeBron James, Shannon Brown, Charlie Villanueva).
• 9 p.m., 2018 Powerade Jam Fest (Zion Williamson, Darius Garland, Olivia Nelson-Ododa).
• 10 p.m., 2002 Sprite Slam Jam (Camelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire, JJ Reddick).
• 11 p.m., 2007 Powerade Jam Fest (Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Michael Beasley).
Make up games with DHs
DENVER (AP) — Let’s play two? Colorado Rockies manager Bud Black would be down for doubleheaders.
Maybe even a couple a week.
That might be a necessity to make up games once a baseball season delayed by the new coronavirus gets under way.
“In theory, yeah, I think all of us would be up for some sort of doubleheader situation,” Black said during a conference call Thursday. “The thing that’s going to be in front of all of us is it’s going to be the same for everybody. It’s got to make sense for the clubs and the players.”
Opening day has been pushed back from March 26 to mid-May at the earliest, and both sides are committed to playing as many games as possible.
“I know that when we’re able to safely play, we’re going to have to think of creative ways to get in as many games as possible given all the time that’s going to be lost,” said Farhan Zaidi of the San Francisco Giants.