Haywood murder trial continues

Kevin Belsik, a Ohio BCI firearms ballistics expert, testifies about the gun and magazine found in the alley near Destiny Moody’s home that he identified as the Cobra .380 pistol which shot her. (Photo by Deanne Johnson)

LISBON — A woman who claimed to have had sex with Terrance Haywood the morning Destiny Moody’s body was discovered and another woman who said Moody told her less than a week before the murder that if she ended up dead Haywood did it both testified Wednesday.

Haywood, 28, Chester Avenue, Wellsville, is charged with murder, aggravated burglary, tampering with evidence and having weapons while under disability. The charges include a firearms specification, that can add time to the sentence. The unclassified felony murder charge carries a possible sentence of 15 years to life.

Sadie Allen testified Haywood, also known as Dew, had been involved with her off and on and the morning of Oct. 22, she contacted him before she dropped off her children at daycare and invited him over. He came over sometime soon after she dropped off the children and they had sex.

Allen testified she slept for awhile and he left. She got a shower and he came back. At some point, different people contacted each of them to say Moody was dead.

Defense attorney Dennis McNamara asked her if up until about 10:40 a.m. you did not know and had no indication that he knew, which Allen said after he knew he changed and got quiet.

She later gave him a ride across to Chester, W.Va., while he rode in the backseat of her van with darker back windows and he got out at a stop sign in Chester.

Often needing to look at her statement given to police at the time in order to remember her testimony, Allen admitted Haywood left his vehicle at her house because he had warrants and police would be out that day.

She also admitted her relationship with Haywood had been rocky in the last year. She relayed one incident when they went out drinking around Thanksgiving of 2018, came home arguing and during the argument she picked up his Xbox gaming system and threw it out the window. Then they were hitting each other and he picked her up and threw her into a glass mirror, shattering it.

She decided not to pursue charges when police came, but did tell police in a statement that he is different when he drinks.

She knew he lived with Moody and she admitted they fought about Moody, who was once one of her best friends. She detailed a time when Moody was driving by her house as Allen was sitting outside and stopped her vehicle in the street, got out and came after her. The two women had a fist fight.

Allen admits she spoke to Haywood in the past month and testified she has never seen him with a gun. At one point she gave a statement that in “her heart and stomach” she did not believe he would have killed Moody.

Another woman, Stacey Stanley testified that Destiny Penny, which was what she called Moody, was one of her closest friends. On Oct. 16 they were talking on the phone about Stanley’s upcoming wedding and the call involved a lot of laughing and giggling about the wedding plans.

But at one point Stanley said Penny told her “If anything ever happened to her, he did it.” Stanley said she asked Penny to repeat it and she did. Stanley also said Penny’s son had told her “He better not (expletive) hurt my mom.”

At the time, Stanley said she did not take it all seriously to heart, but in hindsight she believes it was a “cry for help.”

Virginia McGinnis, who was the manager at McDonald’s in Wellsville, at the time of the murder talked about how she hired Moody, encouraging her to apply when she came through the drive through lane. She had known Moody since the time she was a teenager and hanging out in the neighborhood where McGinnis lived at the time.

She described Moody as a hard worker and read time clock information that showed Moody was allowed to clock out at 11:39 p.m., 20 minutes early on Oct. 21, 2019, the night she was killed.

McGinnis also shared that she knew Moody was arguing a lot with her boyfriend, who she called Dew. She also testified about a time Moody showed up for work with marks on her neck that she though were hickies, but when McGinnis suggested she needed to cover them up with a turtleneck, she told her they were bruises from when her boyfriend choked her.

Jurors also heard testimony on Wednesday from several members of law enforcement and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation. First thing in the morning, Patrolman John Shaughnessy, who was working for Wellsville police at the time, explained how he believed footage of the man seen on video near Moody’s home was Haywood because he has an unusually long stride for someone who he would not consider tall. Shaughnessy said Haywood has had a suspended driver’s license in the past, which causes him to walk more and Shaughnessy has seen him walking around town.

Shaughnessy also testified how the Cobra 380 determined later to be the murder weapon, was located.

Around Nov. 14, 2019, Lt. Marsha Eisenhart had received a tip that there had been voices in the alley behind Moody’s apartment the night of the murder, Shaughnessy said. He and Eisenhart went out there and found a black backpack in some bushes that contained several rounds of different ammunition and an extended magazine. On the other side of the alley, hidden in a cinder block in a sunken garage, they found a 45-caliber Hi-Point. They took those items as evidence.

The next day, officers noticed it appeared the blinds had been moved in Moody’s home despite the door being boarded up. Shaughnessy said he went inside through the window to check to make sure no one was inside and they went outside in back again.

That is when he said Eisenhart, who remembers someone telling her to always look up, spotted a magazine up on the top of the wall. They obtained a ladder and Shaughnessy found a corresponding Cobra 380 in the gutter.

Both of the guns, the magazines and ammunition were sent to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation for analysis. Kevin Belcik, a ballistics specialist, testified after test firing the Cobra 380, he is certain that weapon fired the bullet recovered from Moody. He also said the shell casing found in the apartment came from that gun. The other gun and backpack with ammunition are believed to have been from another unrelated matter.

Both McNamara and one of the prosecutors with the Ohio Attorney General’s Office, Christian Stickan, attempted to get Belcik to identify guns for which they had photographs, including guns from Haywood’s Facebook page. However, while Belcik would make general comments that one gun was similar to another, he said that is not his area of expertise.

When Ted Manasian, another forensic scientist from BCI, checked the clothes police took from Haywood a day later, no gunshot residue was found. Manasian testified gunshot residue disappears from skin in four to five hours, but can hang around on clothing longer. However, he said just because none was found does not mean a gun was not fired.

DNA evidence from Christine Hammett of BCI also was inconclusive for linking the Cobra 380 to Haywood. She said the gun was swabbed in many places where someone would touch a gun, but there was not enough DNA found to draw a conclusion. She testified that rain, heat, cold and moisture are all things that might wash away DNA.

Hammett’s testimony did link Haywood’s DNA to that found on a holster near Moody’s body in the house.

Jessica Mendolik, another forensic scientist, analyzed the shoe print found on the door of Moody’s home that appeared to have been kicked in when she was found. Mendolik compared it to the shoes taken from Haywood the day after the murder and found the sole matched the shoe impression lifted from the door.

Detective Dan Haueter of the East Palestine Police Department said he analyzed the information taken from Citasia Tisdale’s phone for pertinent information for the case. He found and relayed for the jury a Facebook Messaging conversation between Tisdale and Haywood the morning of the murder and phone calls between them. He also pointed out that there were missing messages in the conversation that appeared to have been deleted.

He also found a message where Tisdale instructed Haywood to remove the messages.

Tisdale also attempted to call Haywood several times before she reached him and all of those calls before she called 911.

Haueter also testified he looked at the phone records from T-Mobile from Moody’s phone, which was never found. She continued to receive messages and calls well into November of 2019, which he said could have been people or businesses that did not know she had died. However, someone was also using the phone to send some outgoing messages after her death, which was not explained.

The final person to take the stand on Wednesday was Rusty Ray Altman, a fellow inmate at the county jail. Although it was expected that Altman was going to testify about something Haywood told him at the jail about why Haywood was there, Altman said on the stand “Dew is very hard to understand.” Altman also claimed he did not remember talking to deputies on Sept. 14, 2021 about Haywood.

The trial was recessed until this morning when Altman may retake the stand.



Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.50/week.

Subscribe Today