Council approves Phase I for water treatment plant

WELLSVILLE– In a special council meeting held last week, Wellsville Council passed a resolution authorizing and directing Wellsville Mayor Nancy Murray to execute the contract for Phase I of the Wellsville Waste Water Treatment Plant.

Buckeye Mechanical Contracting Inc. of Toronto, Ohio was awarded the bid to perform Phase I. Phase I is predicted to begin in either August or September of 2019 and should be complete by December 31, 2019. The updates are to bring the water treatment plant up to Ohio EPA standards. In October of 2013, the Ohio EPA sent the Village of Wellsville a notice of violation letter, notifying them of needed improvements for the Wellsville Waste Water Treatment Plant.

Dallis Dawson & Associates, performed the engineering design services for Phase I and will be performing the construction inspection and administrative services during the project’s construction.

In phase I Buckeye Mechanical will be removing and replacing existing oxidation pumps and sludge grinder pumps, rotary distributors and the existing check valve at the pump station No. 1 overflow.

Buckeye Mechanical Contracting submitted the lowest bid of $602,854. The updates to the waste water treatment plant are estimated to cost $599,700. The State of Ohio has awarded a grant costing $479,700 to the Village of Wellsville through the Administrator of the Small Government Capital Improvements Program. The grant is covering 80 percent of the project’s costs. The other 20 percent will be coming from Wellsville’s sewage fund.

The grant was applied for in 2017. Murray hopes to apply for the phase II grant next year when they become eligible again, but acknowledges it may take a few years before phase II begins.

COMMENTS