Beavers had a good run

CADIZ — The Beaver Local girls soccer team suffered an emotional loss to the John Glenn Muskies on Thursday in a Div. II East District Final at Harrison Central Wagner Field.

John Glenn’s Sarah Townsend knocked in the game-winning score with 10:15 remaining in the first period of overtime to give the Muskies a 2-1 win over the Beavers.

“It was unfortunate,” Beaver Local coach Liz Connor said. “They had a shot on goal and made the most of it.

“We had chances but we couldn’t make them count.”

The game marks an unfortunate end for a team that had a lot of thrilling moments this season.

“We had an experienced squad this year,” Connor said. “All the girls played for each other and the seniors were a huge part of the starting lineup.”

Beaver Local ends the season at 14-4, while John Glenn (14-4-1) advances to meet New Philadelphia in the regional semifinal.

John Glenn started the scoring early when Sarah Townsend got a through ball from Caroline Lee and shot it past Beaver keeper Jackie Francis to put John Glenn up 1-0 with 38:25 left in the first half.

Beaver Local came right back when Leah Pancake scored to tie the game at 1 with 34:24 remaining in the first half.

A free kick attempt from John Glenn’s Townsend from outside the box hit off the crossbar near the end of the first half.

The game went into halftime tied at 1.

The second half started early when John Glenn’s Ashylnn Clark broke free but her shot was stopped by a diving Francis.

Francis had eight saves in goal for the Beavers.

The Beavers had multiple chances in the second half that started when Emily Monte had a shot sail over the net with 32:15 remaining in the second half.

The Beavers had another chance when Kierra Taylor saw her shot attempt go over the goal with 16:05 left in the game.

With 5:05 Beaver Local’s Pancake had her shot stopped by Muskies keeper Audrey Hague.

Hague had nine saves in goal in the Muskies winning effort.

Eighty minutes was not enough to settle this hard fought game between two teams in a game where each possession was hard fought.

In the first extra-time period Pancake got the first shot on goal and it was deflected by Hague with 12:30 remaining. A short time later it was all over on the Townsend goal.

“It’s a special feeling for us,” John Glenn coach Clay Wilkins said. “The team we have got right now for as young as we are it is really something special.”

Connor said there’s still reason for the Beavers to be optimistic about the future.

“We are returning a few core starters,” Connor said. “Players that usually come in as subs will have a bigger role on this team next year.”