WELLSVILLE - A village police official put to words what many people have feared about Zane Carter.
The 24-year-old Carter has been missing for nearly two weeks.
In an interview with WTOV Channel 9 television on Tuesday, Wellsville Lt. Ed Wilson conceded that police believe Carter is dead.
He told the television station that they believe Carter overdosed on drugs and that his body had been dumped when the people Carter was with panicked.
Wilson was quoted by WTOV as saying that is "90 percent of the answers" police have been given during their investigation.
Wilson also told the Steubenville-Wheeling station that the search for Carter will be focused more on a recovery effort. He said a special crew will be in the area this weekend to search on land and in water for the missing Wellsville man.
Carter, of Maple Avenue, was last seen between 6 and 7 p.m. Aug. 8 near 14th Street in the village. His disappearance was reported to police a couple days later.
He is described as a black male, 6 feet 5 inches tall, with black hair and brown eyes, weighing 215 pounds.
Originally, a $1,000 reward was offered for information leading to the whereabouts of Carter, and that reportedly has grown to more than $3,000.
Anyone with information is asked to call the police department at 330-532-1522.