GLENMOOR - Damage to a state Route 267 home was contained to the kitchen after a fire Thursday, when the homeowner was alerted by a smoke detector and used a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze.
Cindy Davidson, 16755 state Route 267, was out back picking beans when she heard the smoke detector go off, according to assistant Glenmoor Fire Chief Bill Bennett.
Running into the house, she saw flames in the kitchen and grabbed a fire extinguisher, putting out the fire that started in a pan of grease on the stove. Bennett said she was unaware the stove was turned on when she went outside.
Davidson then carried the pan outside prior to firefighters arriving on the scene.
Bennett said that, while the 911 call she made did go to the East Liverpool Police Department as it should, and Davidson's street number was correct, it indicated the house address was Irish Ridge Road, which is where he headed from the station. He initially could not locate the source of the emergency, since the house is actually on state Route 267.
Fire damage was contained to the stove, cabinets, wall and ceiling in the kitchen, and the fire department used exhaust fans to remove smoke from the house. Bennett said the home owner will also need to remove dry chemicals from the extinguisher she used.
The call came in at 4:29 p.m. and firefighters from Glenmoor, Calcutta and Liverpool Township responded, along with police officers from St. Clair and Liverpool townships.
The fire departments remained on the scene until 5:23 p.m.