Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Ads | Home RSS
 
 
 

Overheated cooking oil causes fire

December 17, 2013
By JO ANN BOBBY-GILBERT - East Liverpool Reporter (jgilbert@reviewonline.com) , The Review

EAST LIVERPOOL - An overheated pan of cooking oil caused a blaze that destroyed a Garfield Street home Saturday morning, also injuring one firefighter.

The three firefighters on duty responded at 11:08 a.m. to the home of Melissa Lewis, 335 Garfield with an engine and pickup truck, with a third alarm called that brought out an additional four firefighters, according to assistant Chief Jeff Kreefer.

The fire started on the kitchen stove and extended to the rear exterior before extending to the second floor bedroom and bathroom and into the roof.

Article Photos

A fire that destroyed a Garfield Street home in East Liverpool Saturday began when cooking oil on the stove overheated. Shown is the stove and remains of the kitchen. (Photo courtesy of the East Liverpool Fire Department)

Firefighters brought the blaze under control by 1:30 p.m. but the home was declared a total loss, with heavy fire and smoke damage throughout the structure.

The off-duty firefighters who responded to the third alarm were released at 4 a.m. Assistant Chief Tim Walker suffered minor burns to his right hand which were treated by ambulance personnel at the scene.

Kreefer said the house is owned by Paul Thomas, whose address was not immediately known. Lewis had no renters' insurance, he added.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web