LA CROFT - Lack of participation in township affairs combined with a light agenda made for a brief penultimate Board of Trustees meeting for the year in Liverpool Township earlier this week.
Interviews are set for this coming week with three candidates for the position of fire chief at the township fire department. Mike Bahen resigned the post in November following his successful campaign for trustee. Bahen will officially join the board at its first meeting of 2014 in January.
The new fire chief will be selected at the next township meeting, which will be held at its scheduled time of 7 p.m., Monday, Dec. 23. According to trustee Steve Betteridge, the three candidates to be interviewed are the only people to submit resumes for the position. All are current employees of the township fire department.
At the board's Nov. 25 meeting, announcement of Liverpool Township's dubious distinction of having among the 100 most accident-prone roads in the state led to its eligibility for a grant from the Ohio Department of Transportation. The grant funds would go toward the upgrading of township road and traffic signs in an effort to lower the number of traffic mishaps.
The township is currently in the process of compiling a list of streets and intersections that could benefit the most from new traffic signs, along with filling out the requisite paperwork. "We're getting our ducks in a row," Betteridge said. Surprisingly, he says trustees have received no notes or requests from township residents about "problem areas" around town that require attention.
"No one's come to me and said we ought to put a sign here or a sign there," Betteridge said. "I'd gladly do it if someone asked for one."
The lack of input from residents means it will be left to trustees and roads foreman Bill Hutchman to compile the list. "We're going to submit our wish list to them, and they'll let us know if we got it or not."
The deadline for submission of the package to ODOT is Jan. 21, with a response from the agency anticipated the following month. If rejected in February, Betteridge says a second round of applications and selections for assistance will take place in July.