LaCROFT - A quick stop by firefighters lessened damage during a late night fire Tuesday at a 5th Avenue home.
Steve Blystone, 742 5th Avenue, said he had gotten up to go to the bathroom just before midnight and was sitting on the couch when he heard crackling and popping sounds from the attic area where his bedroom is located.
He found the room on fire and alerted the Liverpool Township Fire Department as he and his mother escaped the burning home.
The attic area of this LaCroft home was damaged by a late night fire Tuesday, but quick response by fire departments resulted in the blaze being contained to the attic area.(Photo by Jo Ann Bobby-Gilbert)
The township department was assisted by Calcutta and Glenmoor firefighters at the scene, and assistant Chief Dave Ward said, "The first group of guys there did a really good job knocking it down."
Their quick action allowed fire damage to be confined to the bedroom, although other bedrooms did sustain some smoke and heat damage, Ward said, adding the lower floors suffered considerable water damage.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but Ward said preliminary investigation indicates it was most likely an electrical malfunction.
He commended the departments, saying, "Everybody worked well together."
Wellsville and West Point departments were also on standby.