LIVERPOOL TWP. - Liverpool Township trustees are repairing the damage caused by violent storms that swept through the area on July 10.
The storms flooded yards and basements, damaged roads and overwhelmed infrastructure in East Liverpool and surrounding communities, including a remote stretch of John Campbell Road in Liverpool Township.
On Saturday, trustees met in special session so they could meet a funding deadline and obtain an emergency grant to repair a culvert that runs under John Campbell Road in western Liverpool Township.
Concrete barricades, caution tape and orange barrels mark off the area on John Campbell Road in Liverpool Township that was damaged by flood waters on July 10. Township trustees are seeking a state grant to repair the culvert and surrounding area. (Photo by Stephen Huba)
Flood waters created a large, deep hole right where there is a sharp bend in the road and carried away about 20 feet of corrugated metal pipe, Trustee Karl Kontnier said. "Everything's gone at the outlet end," he said.
The section of road currently is marked by concrete barricades, caution tape and orange barrels.
Repairs will involve replacing the culvert with a concrete pipe four feet in diameter, embedding it in limestone and resurfacing the road, Kontnier said.
"It's a major operation," Trustee Steve Betteridge said, nothing that the scope is more than the township can handle.
On Saturday, trustees authorized Kontnier to apply for an emergency grant from the Ohio Public Works Commission to fund the repairs. At $30,800, the grant will cover 90 percent of the project cost of $34,110, Kontnier said. Trustees will cover the remaining 10 percent, he said.
Trustees also awarded the project to McCoy Construction of Calcutta. The project, which also was evaluated by Columbiana County Engineer Bert Dawson, does not require competitive bidding because it is less than $50,000, Kontnier said.
Work is scheduled to begin some time after Labor Day and is expected to take several weeks.