EAST LIVERPOOL - The East Liverpool Fire Department dispatched a pair of units to City Hospital early Thursday evening after receiving a call regarding a microwave oven fire.
Assistant Chief Jeff Kreefer said a small microwave in a fifth-floor employee breakroom suffered an apparent malfunction shortly after 5:30 p.m. "I'm not sure what went bad, but something burned out," he said.
According to Kreefer, the fire was limited to inside the oven itself, with the only damage being scorching to the countertop and walls nearby the device. In fact, he said the fire was contained by a hospital maintenance worker, who ended the incident before fire personnel's arrival by simply unplugging the device.
An East Liverpool firefighter packs up after responding to a small fire in a fifth-floor breakroom at East Liverpool City Hospital on Thursday evening. There were no injuries. (Photo by Richard Sberna)
Minor smoke from the fire was contained in the hallway, away from patients on the floor, by fire doors, and was removed with a fan. There were no injuries.