EAST LIVERPOOL - Some 26 applicants have each thrown their hat into the ring and want to be the next East Liverpool City Schools District superintendent.
The crop of candidates range from current school employees, current superintendents and assistant superintendents from nearby school districts and some former East Liverpool graduates.
The board of education scheduled a special board meeting for 3 p.m. Sunday to discuss the matter, likely in an executive session.
The deadline for potential candidates ended Friday, and officials in Treasurer Todd Puster's office provided a breakdown of those applicants.
A total of at least 19 candidates indicated they have the proper credentials, or a superintendent license. Three have assistant superintendent credentials, one has credentials pending, and three did not indicate their current status.
From within the school district, Jack Cunningham and Randy Taylor expressed interest in the top administrator job. Cunningham is the high school principal, and Taylor is principal at the junior high level.
Here is a list of the 26 applicants seeking the East Liverpool City Schools District superintendent position:
- Matthew Bowen: Canfield, Ohio - principal
- Walter Calinger: Pittsburgh - superintendent
- Jack Cunningham: East Liverpool - principal
- Nikola Drobac: Monroeville, Pa.- administrator
- Michael Edwards: West Liberty, Ohio - principal
- John Grahovac: Poland, Ohio - principal
- Beth Hargreaves: Youngstown, Ohio - deputy director
- Thomas Harrison: Cortland, Ohio - superintendent
- James Herring: Salineville - superintendent
- John Krotky: Lisbon, Ohio - agency director
- Andrew Kuthy: Youngstown, Ohio - principal
- Christopher Lewis: Hudson, Ohio - principal
- Brad McFadden: Dillonvale, Ohio - special education consultant
- Guy Parmigian: Greenville, Ohio - director of curriculum
- James Patsey: Stewart, Ohio - superintendent
- John Payne: East Liverpool - administrator
- Gregg Reink: North Canton, Ohio - assistant superintendent
- Steve Romey: Toronto, Ohio - principal
- Kevin Roseberry: Shadyside, Ohio - assistant superintendent
- Sara Roseberry: Huston, Ohio - principal
- Minerva Spanner-Morrow: Canton, Ohio - education administrator
- Randy Taylor: East Liverpool - principal
- Douglas Thoburn: Stark, Fla. - principal
- Eugene Thomas: New Castle, Pa. - superintendent
- Phillip Henry Wagner: Streetsboro, Ohio - assistant superintendent
- Robert Walls: Campbell, Ohio - administrator
James Herring, the current Southern Local superintendent, also applied for the position.
John Payne, a former East Liverpool mayor and former director of the Columbiana County Board of Elections, has also applied for the position. Payne was on former Rep. Charlie Wilson's staff.
Ken Halbert has been East Liverpool's school superintendent for the last five years. His resignation is effective at the close of the Aug. 1 business day.
In his resignation letter to board members, Halbert said he will be in the East Liverpool office "working whatever number of days in July which are necessary in order to accomplish the work necessary for kids and kids' programs of this school district."
"Additionally, I shall work whatever days needed, without pay in August, to help transition the new superintendent. Gladly I would do that to provide a smooth transition," Halbert noted in his letter.