Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Ads | Home RSS

Police gets new tips on 1973 murders

November 23, 2010

EAST LIVERPOOL - Local police department officials are investigating several tips following a documentary which aired Saturday on some unsolved murders dating back to 1973.

According to East Liverpool police Chief Mike McVay, the department is investigating several of the tips but added that others were dismissed and were already considered during the initial investigation.

"We've had some leads and some new things to look at, but most of the tips we got were cleared a long time ago," McVay said. "We're just sorting through them right now, and we appreciate all the tips we get."

The documentary film "759 Dresden" was the result of more than two years of research and filmmaking, according to David Dunlap, the film's producer and director.

The documentary aired on WQED, the Pittsburgh-based PBS station, at 10 p.m. Saturday as part of the "Filmmakers Corner" program hosted by Minette Seate.

In July of 1973, Earl A. Tweed, 75, operator of the National Furniture Upholstering and Repair Co. of 759 Dresden Ave.; Arthur (Linda) Morris, 22, of Lincoln Ave., who was expecting another child; and Angela Lynn Morris, 4, her daughter, were murdered inside Tweed's business.

At the time, police surmised Morris and her daughter went into the Dresden Avenue store and shop and came upon a robbery in progress.

Following the documentary, several tips were reported directly to the police department.

At least one of those interviewed in the documentary received a tip along with a Review reporter. Those tips were turned over to the police department as well.

McVay said that he still, from time to time, will send a bloody fingerprint collected at the crime scene to state officials looking for a match in the computer database. So far, no match has been made.

"With the length of time that's passed, it's a possibility that the suspect is deceased," McVay said.

If that's the case, the chief said there may never be a resolution, but he insists the case is still open and active.

"We won't give up on the investigation," the chief said. "I think the documentary, in part, was supposed to spark some interest after all these years, and it has."



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web