Officer injured during arrest of suspect

December 11, 2008

EAST LIVERPOOL - Several people were arrested and a police officer was injured as members of the East Liverpool Police Department carried out an investigation Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Officers were looking for two men who committed an armed robbery Tuesday night at Bruno's Pizza, along the 500-block of Walnut St. The robbery was reported at approximately 9:40 p.m. Tuesday.

According to Capt. Norm Curtis, Capt. Terry Faulkner and officers Fred Flati and Donn Griffith ended up at 513 East Sixth St. a little bit later in the evening.

Article Photos

A lone police car sits outside Bruno’s Pizza late Tuesday night as officers respond to an armed robbery call. (Photo by Michael D. McElwain)

"We received an anonymous call that two persons matching the description were seen entering the residence," Curtis said. "Several people were in the house, and we had warrants on file for each."

The active warrants had nothing to do with the armed robbery, according to Curtis.

Tony Wolf, 34, who lived at his mother's East Sixth Street residence; Sonya Shasteen, 32, of Michigan Street; and Anthony R. Wagoner, 28, were arrested.

"Wagoner was arrested inside the home and Terry (Faulkner) was taking him back to his patrol car," Curtis said.

At some point, Wagoner allegedly resisted arrest, and tried to pull away from Faulkner, according to Curtis. Faulkner had his arm twisted when it got caught up in his coat during the incident. Wagoner then fled from custody.

Wagoner already had a drug paraphernalia charge and an escape warrant lodged against him.

According to Curtis, Faulkner's arm is in a sling, and he will have an MRI test on Friday to determine the extent of the injury.

Officers began a search for Wagoner.

At 2:48 a.m. Wednesday, Patrolman Rob Smith was near Lincoln Avenue and Ogden Street, looking for Wagoner. Smith noted a subject walking past who tried to conceal his identity, according to the police report.

As Smith pulled ahead in his patrol car to investigate, the subject started to walk faster and cut through several yards towards Rigby Street. Once on Rigby Street, the subject was in a full sprint, according to the report.

The male was seen entering the rear window of a home at 801 St. Clair Avenue and headed upstairs.

Officers knocked on the door and Christie L. Thrasher, 28, answered. Thrasher allegedly told Capt. Thomas Clark that the subject was a black male and he fled out the front door.

According to the report, the officers knew the suspect did not leave the home because the front door was being observed.

Officers later discovered Jason N. Barnes, 21, hiding in an upstairs bathroom closet.

Barnes and Thrasher were both arrested and charged with obstructing official business. Barnes also had an active warrant for his arrest out of Columbiana County.

Barnes was transported to the county jail and Thrasher was released on her own recognizance.

Officers continued their search for Wagoner.

At about noon on Wednesday, officers were given information concerning the suspect and tried to serve a warrant at 947 West Eighth St. There was no contact made at that location, so officers then went to 937 West Eighth St.

The officers spoke to Jessica M. Buckel, 21, who allegedly said that Wagoner was not at the residence.

Officers entered and discovered Wagoner inside.

"He was hiding behind a furnace," Curtis said. "We had to kind of jerk him out from there and then conducted a felony take down arrest on him. After that, he cooperated and gave us no problems."

Buckel, Wagoner's girlfriend according to Curtis, was arrested for obstructing official business. A third person in the home, Chad E. Kellogg, 32, was arrested for an outstanding summons in East Liverpool Municipal Court, according to Curtis.

No charges have been filed yet concerning the armed robbery of Bruno's Pizza. Curtis said Detective Don Fickes and Detective Darin Morgan are coordinating an investigation.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web