On Aug. 23, police received a call regarding marijuana plants growing on the porch of a trailer on Rear Chester Avenue. Officers arrived at the residence and observed two marijuana plants growing near the front porch steps of the home. The occupant of the trailer, Aaron J. Roach, appeared on the porch and asked the officer what he was doing. He was advised of the complaint and told that the marijuana plants would be confiscated since they are in plain view. Roach advised that he was growing the plants as an experiment and said he did not use marijuana. The plants were confiscated and brought to the station as evidence. Later that day, Roach showed up at the station to accept the charges against him. While obtaining a misdemeanour citation Roach advised that he was using marijuana to treat his aches and pains.

On Aug. 24, Elizabeth Broderick reported she left home Friday at 2:30 p.m. and returned at 8 p.m. She told police she had hidden her jewelry in a vent inside the home before she left. She stated that when she went to retrieve the jewelry that Sunday she could not find it. All the doors and windows in the home were locked and there were no signs of forced entry.

On Aug. 24, police were called to 19th Street and Chester Avenue for a male passed out in a yard. Officers arrived to find Mark Kireta. Officers awakened Kireta and took him inside the residence. He was advised by officers to go to bed and sleep it off. Later that night, police were called back to the residence by the homeowner who advised that Kireta was throwing stuff and tearing up the house. Officers arrived and took him into custody for disorderly conduct.

On Aug. 24, police were dispatched to Commerce Street where officers spoke with Brittini Durus, who was there to pick up her children from a man with whom she recently ended a relationship. Upon her arrival, the man’s father was there picking up one of his granddaughters while waiting on Durus to pick up the others. Durus advised police she had discovered a suicide note and left on foot down the alley. Three police units searched the area for the man but were unable to locate him. An officer called the man’s cell phone which was answered by an unknown subject who hung up when the officer identified himself.

On Aug. 26, an officer observed a vehicle driving southbound on Broadway with only one working headlight. The officer followed the vehicle and observed it swerving. The officer initiated a traffic stop and noticed the driver of the vehicle was not wearing a seatbelt. Upon speaking to the driver, Jeffery E. Cope Jr., the officer observed his speech was slurred and his eyes were glossy and red. When asked whether he had been drinking, Cope responded that he had been drinking and knew he should not be driving. Cope told the officer he had consumed between six and seven beers in the last two hours. Due to no officer available to operate the blood alcohol content measuring device, Cope only was cited with proper headlight, no seat belt and physical control. His car was towed from the scene and he was told to walk home.


At 4 p.m. July 24, police were dispatched to Wells Avenue regarding the theft of a purse. Jocelyn Fluharty reported that she had gone up to her apartment for a few minutes and left her purse in her car. When she returned, she discovered the purse was missing. Fluharty described the purse as cream colored with “MK” on the outside . Officers watched surveillance footage from an nearby business and saw a blue four door vehicle drive by Fluharty’s vehicle, return a few minutes later and stop. A male and female exited the vehicle, took the purse from Fluharty’s vehicle and left. Fluharty’s drivers license and credit cards were later found on state Route 7. Her debit card was not retrieved.


At approximately 3:30 p.m. on July 25, Daniel Crow Sr. came to the police station to report a fight at his residence. Officers observed blood coming from both sides of his head as well as from his arms. Crow reported that he was inside his residence when Brandon Speece arrived and picked a fight with people inside. Crow alleged that Speece then hit him in the head and arm with a cordless drill multiple times. Officers documented Crow’s injuries. Crow refused medical attention. Speece was advised to stay away from Crow’s residence and was later charged with assault.

On July 24, Kimberly Vassar came to the station to report an incident earlier that day. She advised that she had gone to the residence of Heather and Chris Joy on 15th Street to pick up her grandson from his visitation. She reported that while at the residence Chris Joy threw a plastic bag full of her grandson’s dirty clothes at her and started cursing at her. Vassar recorded that incident on her cell phone. A report was filed.


At around 8:15 p.m. on Aug. 9 police received a call regarding Bryan Jarrad, 44, being assaulted and his wallet taken somewhere between the Central Federal Bank at 5th and Main Street and his residence on 6th Street. The incident occurred at approximately 9 p.m. Aug. 8. The assailants were described as two white males. One attacked Jarrad from the front while the other attacked from the rear. Jarrad did not get a good look at the assailant that attacked from the rear but described the other man as having a beard which hung down a few inches from his face. The wallet is described as being black with camouflage on the inside. Officers advised Jarrad to cancel his credit and debit cards and check with the social security office about his social security card.

At about 11 p.m. Aug. 8 Dorothy Hayes reported that somebody stole her flower box from the front of her Main Street residence.

At 7 p.m. Aug. 5 Police responded to the Washington Street home of Britney Hefner. Hefner stated that she had recently been in the hospital and upon returning to her residence found it locked and all her belongings outside. Hefner’s mother stated that she had spoken to the landlord, Jack Madden, last week. Hefner’s mother reported that she and Madden had reached a verbal agreement that Britney had until early that week to remove her belongings from the residence, but Lyle Foster’s belongings were to be removed last weekend. Hefner stated that several items were missing from the residence. Officers tried to make contact with Madden but were unsuccessful. A report was filed.

At about 11:45 p.m. Aug. 5 McDonald’s staff reported an intoxicated female driver with a child in the car in the drive-thru. Police arrived on the scene and advised the driver to pull over as she came through the drive thru. Officers made contact with the driver, who was identified as Jasmine Petties, and found she had slurred speech, poor motor skills and bloodshot eyes. Petties advised officers she had smoked a blunt. Police administered a field sobriety test and determined that Petties was under the influence. A passenger in the vehicle was determined to be sober and allowed to drive the car from the scene. Petties was charged with physical control and driving under suspension.


Kimberly Vassar reported she was picking up her grandson at his mother’s residence on 15th Street when the mother’s husband came outside and began yelling and swearing at her. She said he has called her phone and made threats to her.

Dispatched to 8th and Riverside for a suspicious vehicle, officers found a man and woman sitting inside a black SUV, who said they were pulled over because they were arguing. They gave permission to search the vehicle, and officers found nothing that concerned them, according to reports. Neither had outstanding warrants and were advised to move along.

Officers were called by East Liverpool City Hospital employees about Carl Morris, Broadway Avenue, having problems and wanting to harm someone at his residence. They spoke with Morris on his porch, saying he told them he was tired of a man he knows sitting around doing drugs all day and he was going to chop off his head. They called Tri-County Ambulance to take Morris to the hospital. About an hour later, Morris was home from the hospital and officers were called back to the house, where Jessica Morris reported he was threatening to shoot her. Officers charged Mr. Morris with menacing and took him into custody.

Scott Michael Mason Groves, address not listed, was charged with criminal damaging at 7:42 p.m. Thursday after he allegedly used a baseball bat to break out the window in the residence of Jonathan Pullie, 804 Broadway Ave.

Following a traffic stop at 10 p.m. July 25, the driver, Richard Davidson Jr., address not listed, was charged with a stop sign violation and driving under suspension. A passenger in the vehicle, Jason Harris, address not listed, was charged with open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle, drug abuse and drug paraphernalia. The owner of the vehicle, Brooke Keys, no address listed told police she had several methadone pills in her purse that she had taken from her grandmother and that she had intended to sell the pills. The pills were sent to BCI for testing with charges against Keys pending. A change purse was found in the vehicle that contained suspected marijuana, two bowls and a cut straw.

A warrant was issued for Devante R. Moody, no address listed, on charges of assault and resisting arrest. Police stopped Moody when he was walking on Maple Avenue near 18th Street at 1 a.m. July 23. After learning Moody had an active warrant out of Kentucky, police attempted to arrest him and he took off running, climbed a fence, ran through a yard and hopped another fence. Officers lost him after he crossed Clark Avenue.

Tanya Pappas, address not listed, was charged with operating a vehicle without a valid license, fictitious plates and expired registration after she was stopped at 9:48 p.m. July 27 on Broadway at Third Street. Her vehicle was towed.

Gary Shell Jr., Columbiana, was charged with assault after he was allegedly involved in an altercation with Dakota Powell, 310 14th St. at 5:20 p.m. July 24.

On July 26, 12 tires on three vehicles were reported vandalized around 11 p.m. on Ninth Street.

Alexandria Mason, was charged with obstruction of official business and persistent disorderly conduct July 29 after officers stopped a vehicle in which she was riding for suspected expired plates.

After investigating a report of suspected drug activity in a car parked on Lisbon Street 4:14 p.m. July 28, Shannon Herron, address not listed, was charged with driving under suspension, display of plates and possession of drug abuse instruments. Officers found a Crown Royal bag containing hypodermic needles, a spoon with suspected heroin, a scale, metal pipe and other suspected drug paraphernalia. The suspected heroin was sent to BCI for testing with charges pending.

Kelly Duncan, no address listed, was charged with driving a vehicle without a valid driver’s license and expired plates, July 29 in the BP parking lot. The vehicle was impounded.


Officers responded Wednesday to Jim’s Service on 17th Street for reports of juveniles shooting people with BB guns. After bringing two juveniles to the police department, officers advised them they were on house arrest for two weeks, ordered to perform community service. The BB guns were seized, and the juveniles were cautioned that any further problems would result in charges through Juvenile Court.

Edward Spicer, 34, Hammond Park Drive, was charged with assault Thursday after Shane Carpenter, no age or address listed, reported he was cutting grass for a woman on 14th Street and Spicer was at the residence and became upset that Carpenter was there. Carpenter said Spicer was intoxicated and came up behind him, striking him in the right eye, kicking his phone, then hitting him in the ribs. Carpenter had visible injuries, according to reports.

Scott Groves, no age or address listed, was charged with criminal damaging Thursday after officers were told by Jonathan Pullie and his neighbor, Kathy Jo Byers, Broadway, that they saw Groves come from a rear yard with a baseball bat in his hand after hearing window glass breaking in Pullie’s home. Groves reportedly told Pullie he wanted “you people out of this neighborhood” before fleeing. Groves was located by officers on Clover Avenue, where he was arrested.

Sadie Allen, Independence Square, was charged with falsification after reporting July 24 that a couch set had been stolen from her apartment when she had set it out to be picked up by Eagle Rental Purchase. She told officers she left the apartment unlocked so the company could pick up the furniture. Several days later, officers spoke with a woman who said she had purchased a couch from Allen for $100. Eagle Rental recovered the love seat, and Allen was arrested.


The rear window of a vehicle owned by Steven Wright, Independence Square, was broken out while parked in the last lot of the housing complex.