Wellsville officials investigate alleged threat

WELLSVILLE — Village police and school officials are investigating reports that a student made comments Tuesday about blowing up the school. No incident took place.

According to Superintendent Richard Bereschik, posts about the student’s comments began surfacing on social media, and he contacted school resource officer Lt. Marsha Eisenhart.

Once he spoke with police, Bereschik put out a call to parents to inform them of the comments. He declined to give the age of the student other than to say he is in between eighth and 12th grade.

Eisenhart said Wednesday reports that the boy was pictured with an arsenal were “not true,” and said the student “said he was just kidding” with his comments.

Nonetheless, Eisenhart said he is not allowed back to school until police, school officials and his parents can meet, which she expects to occur today.

Bereschik said, “We will do an investigation here to get everything straight. If any discipline is needed, we’ll do that,too. If any further action is needed after the investigation, it will be up to the police and prosecutor.”

According to Bereschik, the district has over the last year implemented many security measures, including placing a school resource officer in every building, requiring identification to enter, alarming each door, key fob entry for teachers, threat extinguishers, BOLO sticks and more.

The most useful thing which has been implemented, he said, is encouraging students if they see something, to say something to an adult.

“Basically, that’s what happened here,” he said of Tuesday’s reports of the student’s comments.

COMMENTS