Residents safe from harm

MADISON TOWNSHIP-David and Cherity Springer and their two dogs escaped unharmed, a fire in their home early Friday morning.

According to West Point Fire Chief Wayne Chamberlain his department was called to a structure fire at 45006 Y & O Road at 2:16 a.m. and arrived to find heavy black smoke coming from the house.

Chamberlain said, David Springer told him they are remodeling his grandfather’s house and currently living in the basement of the home. Springer said he woke up and heard something upstairs, going to check on it he encountered a fire in a cardboard box in the living room. Springer retreated downstairs to grab some water to extinguish the fire and by the time he got back upstairs the living room was filled with thick black smoke and he couldn’t get into the room.

Springer then called 911 and got his wife and pets safely out of the house.

West Point responded with an engine, tanker, an ambulance and five men and were assisted by Chief Bill Bennett and the Glenmoor fire department who also responded with an engine, tanker and five men.

The departments made a quick attack and knock down of the fire despite the hassles of the first winter snow and cold. Firefighters also encountered a driveway bridge part way up the long lane, cautiously not traversed because of the size and weight of fire trucks, so hoses and equipment were carried to the house by hand from the bridge.

Chief Chamberlain said there is fire damage in the living room area with smoke and water damage throughout the entire house. Chief Chamberlain is classifying the fire as undetermined and said the couple is insured.

Firefighters were back at the station shortly before 6 a.m. Friday.

COMMENTS