Health Department awarded grant

LISBON — The county health department has been awarded another $200,000 in state grant money for septic system repair.

Environmental Director Lori Barnes told the health board this week that the Ohio Water Pollution Control Loan (WPCL) funding is for 2018 and 2019.

The funding is administered through the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, and the health board has been a recipient of the funding the last several years, with $300,000 awarded for this year.

The money goes toward repair of septic systems for income eligible residents, with grant money paying anywhere from 50 percent to 100 percent of the cost based on federal poverty guidelines.

“We are fixing a lot of systems out there,” Barnes said.

During the meeting the board approved the one bid accepted for the repair of septic systems with this year’s WPCL funding.

The bid was submitted by ACT Excavating and was for $32,000.

The company will repair systems for a home on state Route 62 in Butler Township, Miller Road in Center Township and Stookesberry Road in Elkrun Township.

The grant is funding 100 percent of the cost of the repairs in Butler Township and 85 percent of the cost for Center and Elkrun township systems, with those homeowners responsible for the remaining 15 percent.

The board also approved:

— Declaring a home on state Route 164 in Leetonia a public health nuisance due to the household sewage disposal system violation. The property is owned by Willow Springs Properties LLC.

— Granting a variance to Bob Bertelson, Kauffman Avenue, Columbiana, so he can install a new septic system line connection to the home’s existing clay line.

— Reducing official certificates for the camp trailer, swimming pool and rabies grant by $1,458, $797 and $187 respectively.

— Giving a second reading to legislation enacting 2018 food service fees, swimming pool fees, camp trailer fees, water well fees and sewage fees. Health Commissioner Wes Vins said there are no changes to the fees and public hearings are scheduled for 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Wednesday for anyone interested.

— Review and adoption of the Emergency Response Plan and Organizational Branding Plan required for accreditation.

— Monthly expenses in the amount of $65,466.

The board also went into executive session for just under 20 minutes to discuss personnel matters relating to employment. No action was taken.