BOE tables Westgate improvement matter
EAST LIVERPOOL – The city school board on Monday tabled a motion authorizing the district to enter into a contract with BSHM Architects of Youngstown for improvements to the Westgate Elementary facility.
Improvements include replacement of certain sections of Westgate’s roof and HVAC system. The motion also would have authorized BSHM Architects to begin drafting plans, specifications and bid documents.
Board member Larry Walton said he had not yet had a chance to read the contract and asked to table the matter until the next scheduled meeting. He noted that the board had gone “into some contracts without fully understanding them,” and he hoped to avoid repeating that mistake.
Board members agreed with Walton and voted to table the matter until the next meeting. Treasurer Todd Puster said board members have two weeks to reach a decision regarding the contract.
In other business:
* The board approved an agreement with the Ohio Attorney General’s for continued participation in the National Webcheck program which allows the district to facilitate school background checks.
* The board approved entering into a nonexclusive license agreement with Home Savings and Loan Co. to use the “Block EL” logo on debit cards. “A lot of people in the public want this logo on their debit card,” said board member Scott Dieringer.
* Board accepted request of the athletic director to transfer $25,000 from the general fund to the High School Athletics District Managed Activity Fund.
* The board set a special meeting, regarding negotiations and personnel, for 6 p.m. March 3. That meeting will replace the board’s regular March 10 meeting.
* The board approved the following as district employees for the 2013-14 school year: Robert Shansky as musical director at East Liverpool High School; Taylor Seitz as junior high assistant girls track coach; Melanie Pickering as substitute teacher/homebound instruction tutor; and Kelly Betteridge as substitute cafeteria worker/aide.
* The board denied a recommendation to approve Bryian Burson as volunteer sports coach. Board members expressed concern that Burson’s coaching activities might interfere with his duties as an administrator. Burson is associate principal at the high school.